Sunday, November 6, 2011

Spotlightin' Deer!

Earlier this evening put on a fleece overshirt, grabbed a flashlight, and walked down a trail in our yard that leads into our woods. A strong summer storm had uprooted a large oak tree, and I went to fetch a couple of logs I cut to split for firewood. Our property is next to a Wildlife Managment Area, and several of the deer which reside there walked onto our property to feed on acorns. My sudden intrusion caused the deer to stir, and I continued to hear them in the forrest as I split wood with my axe. When I was finished I walked into the house with an armload of firewood and told my family about the deer I encountered.

Shortly thereafter my dog Ozzy was busy collecting items from around the house. First he grabbed a camo hat, then an orange vest. I paid little attention to what he was doing until I saw him try to walk out the front door dragging large spotlight and a deer rifle. Of course I asked him what he was doing, and he answered very simply, "Going Huntin'". "Now?", I asked. "It's past legal huntin hours. You can't go hunting deer at night using a spotlight. You might get arrested." Ozzy responded that if I was at home kicked back in my recliner, that the Game Wardens were chilled out at home as well. "Besides, he said, we need Meat"!

Would someone please send Ozzy a copy of the Georgia State Hunting Regulations before I have to post his bail?

No comments:

Post a Comment