Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Burnin' Down the House!

Our family has been blessed by great friends during our lives, including those who have passed on. One of these is the late Lucky Dale Meissinger, an internationally renowned chimney sweep, if you can believe that. Lucky Dale accumulated a collection of wood burning stoves, and decided to give one to us as a gift.


We have enjoyed this stove every winter. It is the centerpiece of our home, and the warm glow it generates makes our home even more inviting. Our dogs love to lie in front of the stove and experience it's warmth on chilly days. Ozzy is especially fond of this fantastic source of comfort, and looks forward to my starting a fire every evening.

I had to attend a doctor's appointment today. The weather was rather cold today, and when I left the house was still warm inside. However, in due time the indoor temperature dropped, and Ozzy decided to try to start a fire himself. Rubbing sticks together didn't work, neither did using an entire box of matches. He finally got a bright idea, and I'm grateful I arrived home in time to intervene. Ozzy had dragged a gas can from outside up the steps and into the house. He found a blow torch in the tool shed, and was just about to unleash hell in our little stove. Five minutes later, and we would have probably checked into a motel this evening.

After I explained the safety issues, Ozzy promised to leave the fireplace duties to me, but he did volunteer to drive me to my next doctor's appointment.

1 comment: