Friday, September 30, 2011

Our Cherokee Heritage!

My dog Ozzy is excited to discover the Cherokee ancestry of his adopted family, and is trying his level best to learn some customs of this ancient people. I told him of their ancient homelands, and how they were the largest native tribe in the southeast. Hunting and raiding parties would travel great distances to conduct their affairs, and were respected and feared by all other groups with whom they came in contact.

Trying to prevent Ozzy from confusing the Cherokee lifestyle with other well-known tribes has been quite a teaching experience. Long hair and elaborate headresses were associated with plains tribes. Cherokee men usually plucked or shaved their heads, and it was difficult trying to keep Ozzy from grabbing my razor and going to work. When he asked what he could do to be more like "his ancestors", I shared historcal facts that would help him better understand life in times past.

Ozzy said he saw a tribe conduct a vision quest ceremony, and said he wanted to conduct one of his own. I did not take him seriously enough, and shrugged it off. Taking advantage of my inattention Ozzy disappeared into the woods to gather items necessary for a his little adventure. Ozzy watched the tribe utilize a few items from nature's garden, and during his search he happened upon a strange mushroom. An hour later I found Ozzy blissfully chasing butterflies all over the front yard, uttering strange sounds and speaking a language I have never heard before. He also told me a toad spoke to him and said we should sell all our possessions and move to Oklahoma. Later that afternoon I had to intervene when he tried to rally the family and conduct a war dance before attacking one of our unwary neighbors.

With this in mind, there is absolutely no chance I am going to tell Ozzy we have Scottish and Irish ancestors as well. For the life of me I can't picture Ozzy playing bagpipes and wearing a Kilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment