Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Daddy, Read Me a Story!

I am not sure how my dog Ozzy discovered one of the duties of a father is to read books to his children. Either he saw it on television or my wife put him up to it. No matter which one is true, I now find myself caught in one of Ozzy's little manipulative webs.

It all started when Ozzy jumbed into my chair, looked at me with the same sad eyes seen in the blog's profile picture, and sweetly asked, "Daddy, will you read me a story"? It softened my heart, and I caved like an unstable coal mine. I asked what he would like for me to read, and he left the decision to me. My story book selection is limited, so I picked a book from my wife's collection entitled "The Light in the Forest".

I was certain Ozzy would enjoy this story about the adventures of a Native American boy, so I opened the book to the first page. Ozzy settled in, his eyes wide with excitement in anticipation of his daddy reading a story to him. About ten minutes into the book, I could feel him squirming in my lap. Ozzy looked up at me and asked if there was any violence in the story, to which I replied "Not really". Then he asked if there were any fine chicks..."Not really". "How about car chases and explosions like the Vin Diesel and Paul Walker flicks"? "Not really". At that moment Ozzy's expression changed from interest to disappointment. "Boring", he said. "Let's watch a movie."

I guess I need to drop by Borders Bookstore and grab a few "James Bond" novels for Ozzy's next attempt at a bedtime story. It's everything Ozzy asked for, and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment