Monday, October 24, 2011

Deer Season's Opening Day!

On Saturday my dog Ozzy experienced that special day which deer hunters all over the nation look forward to, obsess about, and tell tales that seem either insane or impossible. No other day attracts so many hunters into the fields and forests of America like Opening Day of Deer Season. This was his first, and he was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Preparing family members for the hunt is quite taxing, with everyone running around the house trying to locate the items necessary to take to the woods. I get hit with questions such as "where are my socks", or "who stole my hunting boots"? Ozzy followed me around as I gathered his hunting gear. He looked quite lovely in his bright orange vest and camo hunting cap (I should have taken a picture). After all was secure, I grabbed my backpack, and we headed to our hunting spot.

Upon arriving at our destination, we exited the truck. It was dark and we needed a flashlight to see our way. As we walked toward our blind Ozzy began breathing heavily, which initially caused some concern. To my suprise he was immitating the hunters he had seen on television. Anyone who regularly watches outdoor network programing will find most hunters are out of shape physically, and even limited walking causes massive shortness of breath. Ozzy just thought it was something he was supposed to do, and I convinced him that it was not necessary.

When we arrived at our blind, it was still so dark that we could not see each other. Ozzy wasn't very quiet, and I told him he must have learned to whisper on an artillery range. It was necessary that he receive a crash course in how to talk quietly during the hunt. I also knew he would wiggle around like a worm, thus the decision to hunt in a blind. I placed some deer scent wafers some 30 yards from our position, and we took our seats and listened to the sounds of the night woods prior to dawn when the forest comes to life.

Ozzy and I listened intently for footsteps or vocal communications from deer and other animals. We heard the sounds of sticks breaking and the crackle of leaves as a variety of nocturnal creatures navigated the woods without benefit of daylight. A hoot owl caused him to giggle, but perhapst the most humorous moment of the morning came when I decided to pull a buck grunt call from my backpack. I gave two or three soft, low frequency grunts in an attempt to illicit a possible response from a nearby deer. The only response I received was Ozzy telling me that I was disgusting, and if the noise I was making continued, I would need to sit downwind.

Hunting with Ozzy is going to be as much fun as "Messin' with Sasquatch".

No comments:

Post a Comment